Tuesday 15 January 2013

Bournemouth Beach and Oceanarium

One way to spend a birthday

One of the downsides of a January birthday is the limited options of places to go. Had it snowed as predicted, then you can at least go to the park and have a snowball fight. However, the weather was just cold, which left us trying to find something to do that was indoors (or at least not too cold). What better way to spend the day than in Bournemouth Oceanarium?

Lizard in the Oceanarium

Lizard waiting by MJM Images (mjm-images)) on 500px.com
Lizard waiting by MJM Images
(Check out FAA for more lizard photos)

I underestimated just how difficult it would be photographing marine life through glass as this was the first time I'd attempted it with a DSLR. Despite there being lots of amazing creatures to photograph, the combination of thick (and scratched) glass and low light meant that the shots I took weren't really doing justice.I could have maybe tried a flash but I didn't want to damage their eyes.

The little guy above, however, was in a tank where you could look down and into it. The darkness was accidental; it was in fact quite light in his tank. However, when I saw the effect, I preferred the results as it helps the little guy stand out more

Dog on the beach

Happy Dog by MJM Images (mjm-images)) on 500px.com
Happy Dog by MJM Images
Even though it was near zero, we still decided to brave the beach as our toddler son had never properly played on sand before (we took him when he was tiny but he stayed on his blanket). Needless to say, he loved it despite being wrapped in lots of clothing, so I think future trips to the beach will be in order!

One thing I always love about beaches are dogs playing, even though I'm not a dog person. Dogs seem to be at their most photogenic on the beach, since they can run around freely as well as get wet if they choose to. This was my favourite shot of the day, though I may need to up the shutter speed even more next time (it was certainly light enough).

Find more of my images at 500px
Follow me on Twitter

Check out FAA for more bournemouth photos

No comments:

Post a Comment