Sunday 17 March 2013

Beaulieu Classic Cars - shooting automobiles

Introduction

The recent wet weather of late meant that we needed to find someplace dry to visit at the weekend. Beaulieu Car Museum has been on our todo list ever since we moved to Hampshire, so we decided this was the perfect opportunity! It also gave me the chance to have a go at shooting cars; as much as I love my Ford Focus, it isn't the most photogenic of cars, especially when compared to the well polished, beautiful cars on display at Beaulieu! As usual, I thought I'd share some tips I found after yesterday, including some I'd consider for next time.

How to shoot cars, some tips

Location matters

MJM Images: Beaulieu Cars &emdash; Beaulieu VW Beetle
VW Beetle, click the image to visit my website
Funnily enough, this was something I didn't have much control over at Beaulieu, but the location matters as much as the car itself. You don't want to have your nice, shiny car stuck in a car park in your photos, and you should give some consideration to what is going on in the back as much as the front.

So how do you get around that at somewhere like Beaulieu? Choose your angles carefully. Try to find a way to minimise background distractions like people, signage or other cars. If you can't avoid people being in the background, WAIT. sometimes, only a few seconds of patience can result in the background suddenly becoming clear. Alternatively, a long exposure could help to blur out people (if they're moving), further reducing distractions

Little details can be just as fulfilling

MJM Images: Beaulieu Cars &emdash; Beaulieu Mercedes Benz
Mercedes Benz, click the image to visit my website
When photographing cars, the temptation is to try and fill the frame with the whole car. However, things like badges, decal and wheels can be just as iconic to photograph. In the example above, I didn't get the whole car in, but you know instantly it is a Mercedes Benz from the badge. If you have the time, a series of photos of a car could be especially nice, encorporating a full view plus closeups of little features like badges.

Wide angles and tripods

MJM Images: Beaulieu Bond Exhibition &emdash; Beaulieu Bond Goldeneye Aston Martin
Bond's Aston Martin, please click the image to visit my website
If you do choose to go for a full view of the car, you're going to need a wide angle shot. Try to pick an angle different to the sort you'd normally see. Here, I tried a low angle, which also helped exaggerate the curves of the car.

The second point, as shouldn't be a surprise, is a tripod is essential. The lighting indoors will be enough to photograph with, but without a tripod you'll find yourself having to up the ISO, which will do these cars no favours. Get your tripod setup, get the remote out and get snapping!

Summary

I had a great time at Beaulieu, despite not being that much of a petrolhead. From a photographic perspective, it wasn't the ideal settings for shooting cars (no control over lighting, positioning or backgrounds), but in some ways that can be a more fun challenge. I'm some way off times when I'm going to have access to an Aston Martin to photograph as I see fit, so going to museums like this represents a great chance!

Visit my website
Please visit my website for more photos

1 comment: